make like a poet
October 8, 2015
National Poetry Day — today, Thursday, October 8, 2015 — is a UK holiday, but that’s no reason to bypass the celebration. This year’s theme is Light. Here are a few options:
- As The Guardian suggests, ‘make like a poet’ and record a “video of yourself reading out a poem for somebody you care about.”
- The Guardian also offers a number of short films that explore the subject of light through poetry. Stephen Hawking reads “Relativity” by Sarah Howe, Samantha Morton reads “My Brilliant Image” by Hafez, and Sean Bean reads “Notes on the Art of Poetry” by Dylan Thomas.
- In honor (honour?) of National Poetry Day, Peter Howarth examines “The rise and rise of performance poetry” in The Independent.
- Download a free NPD poster, a photo for your Facebook profile or cover, or wallpaper from the Forward Arts Foundation.
- Visit the website of the Scottish Poetry Library to view the eight poem-cards produced for this year’s celebration.
- If you tweet, check out #NationalPoetryDay on Twitter.
- If you Facebook, stop by PoetryDayUK.
- Watch and listen to the children of Saint Augustine’s Priory School in Ealing reading “The Minister of Light,” a poem by Mona Arshi, on YouTube.
- Write a poem.
. . . . .