December 8, 2015
Best-of season continues (see our earlier post) with a variety of recommendations. It’s useful to remember that not all the list makers are starting with the same set of poetry books. But if you don’t know what to read next, any of these lists might help:
- The literary website Entropy includes 50 titles on its Best of 2015: Best Poetry Books & Collections.
- Here’s a small selection from Forward Reviews, which writes reviews for independent presses.
- The Guardian takes a slightly different approach. Instead of creating genre-based lists, the publication asks well-known writers to list their personal favorites for the year in any genre. Here are links to Part One and Part Two.
- If popular acclaim is any measure, 61,428 votes were cast in the GoodReads Choice Awards for Best Poetry 2015.
- Independent/UK offers Christmas 2015: The top 14 poetry books.
- Library Journal offers Best Books 2015: Poetry.
- Here’s another list worth perusing. Many best-of lists include titles that have already received considerable amounts of ink. Literary Hub, which publishes news about the literary world, dipped into the other end of the pool. They selected debut poetry books and interviewed the poets. Here’s their list: 30 Must-Read Poetry Debuts from 2015.
- The Los Angeles Times lists Holiday books: 56 fabulous works of fiction and poetry.
- Although a volume of poetry is not one of The New York Times 10 Best Books of 2015, several poetry books are included in the 100 Notable Books of 2015 list.
- Not exactly a “best-of,” here’s a way to know what other folks are buying (if not reading) — a most-popular-this-month list from Small Press Distribution (450+ independent presses): Poetry Bestsellers.
Do you have 2015 poetry favorites that were missed by the lists? Leave a comment! Happy reading.
. . . . .