Important dates for the 2017 Sue C. Boynton Poetry Contest:
Submissions open: Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Submission deadline: 6:00pm, Friday, March 31, 2017
Winners notified by phone or e-mail: by April 30, 2017
Awards ceremony: Thursday, May 18, 2017
For general information about the contest, please see the About and FAQs pages…and please subscribe to the blog to stay current on the contest, regional poetry happenings and much more!
2017 Sue C. Boynton Poetry Contest
- Contestant must be a Whatcom County resident.
- Contestant may submit only one previously-unpublished poem.
- The poet must be the exclusive author of the submitted original poem.
- Please limit poems to 27 lines including title and blank lines, with 55 (or fewer) characters per line, including letters, spaces and punctuation marks. Poems beyond these limits will not be accepted.
- Poets must submit two (2) copies of the poem. Place your name, street address, phone number and e-mail address in the upper right-hand corner of one copy only. The second copy of the poem should not be identified in any way other than the title.
- Students in K-12 must also provide their parent’s name, name of their school, grade level and teacher’s name (on the one copy with name & address information).
- Be sure to keep a copy of your poem; poems will not be returned.
- Entries will be accepted from Wednesday, March 1, 2017, through 6:00 p.m. Friday, March 31, 2017. Submissions postmarked before March 1 or after March 31 will be disqualified. Late submissions will be disqualified.
- Entries may be mailed to: Poetry Contest, PO Box 1192, Bellingham, WA 98227. OR delivered to: Mindport Exhibits, 210 W. Holly Street, Bellingham, during open hours: Weds-Fri Noon to 6pm, Sat 10am to 5pm, & Sun Noon to 4pm. OR emailed to BoyntonPoetryContest@hotmail.com (attach entry as a Word Document
or paste into the body of the email).
- Winning poets will be notified by phone or e-mail before the last day of April 2017, and will be invited to read their winning poem at a free public Awards Ceremony on Thursday, May 18, 2017.
- Winning poems will be published in a chapbook collection, as well as displayed on the Sue C. Boynton Poetry Walk outside the Bellingham Public Library and/or inside Whatcom Transportation Authority buses.
- Contestant grants permission to the Sue C. Boynton Poetry Contest for the poem, the poet’s name and the poet’s photograph to be displayed or reproduced for publication or fundraising purposes.
Questions? E-mail: BoyntonPoetryContest@hotmail.com