April 17, 2017
Here are a number of conferences, retreats and other events in the greater Cascadia area (and beyond) that merit some planning for the coming months (all 2017).
- May 17-21 – Writing by Writers Methow Valley Workshop – Winthrop, WA
- May 19-21 – Word on the Lake Writers’ Festival – Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
- May 31 – June 3 – North Words Writers Symposium – Skagway, AK
- June 3 – Haiku Northwest Annual Meeting – Seattle, WA
- June 9-12 – Colrain Poetry Manuscript Conference – Truchas, NM
- June 16 – Convergence 2017: We Will Not Be Separated – New Denver, BC, Canada
- June 23-24 – Chuckanut Writers Conference – Bellingham, WA
- June 30 – July 3 – Sun Valley Writers’ Conference – Sun Valley, ID
- July 9-16 – Tin House Summer Workshop – Portland, OR
- July 10-16 – Summer Fishtrap – Wallowa Lake, OR
- July 15 – Poets in the Park 2017 – Redmond, WA
- July 16-23 – Port Townsend Writers’ Conference – Centrum, Port Townsend, WA
- July 20-23 – Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association (PNWA) Conference – Seattle, WA
- July 23-28 – Napa Valley Writers’ Conference – St. Helena, CA
- August 1-31 – August Poetry Postcard Fest
- August 3-5 – Mendocino Coast Writers Conference – Ft. Bragg, CA
- August 5 – 2017 Poetry Marathon
- August 17-20 – Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts – Sechelt, BC, Canada
- Sept 8-10 – Cumberland Poetry Festival – Cumberland, BC, Canada
- September 8-10 – Poets on the Coast – La Conner, WA
- September 22-23 – The 2nd Annual FisherPoets on Bellingham Bay – Bellingham, WA
- September 22-23 – North Coast Redwoods Writers’ Conference – Crescent City, CA
- September 22-24 – LiTFUSE – Tieton, WA
For readings and other events, see the Calendar page.
. . . . .
January 28, 2017
It may still be winter, but deadlines are busting out all over. This list includes Cascadia-region publications that have current/ongoing submissions calls. There are many other fine journals in the region, but if they are not accepting submissions, they are not included here. Dates are 2017. Follow the links for details.
- Bricolage deadline February 12 for anyone associated with the UW
- Burnside Review open submissions
- The Capilano Review Issue 3.32 (Spring 2017) – Food theme – deadline: April 1, 2017
- Cascadia Review open submissions
- The Cascadia Subduction Zone reads submissions year round
- Cirque Journal deadline for June issue March 21
- Clover, A Literary Rag submissions open
- CutBank print edition submissions open until February 1
- EVENT accepts submissions year round
- Geist accepts work (by postal mail only) with a Canadian connection year round
- Gramma reads submissions year-round for Daily Gramma
- High Desert Journal reviews submissions year round
- Image Journal and the Good Letters blog accept submissions year round
- Isthmus reopened for submissions January 1
- Jeopardy Magazine accepts submissions Western Washington University students, staff, faculty, and alumni through March 19
- The Monarch Review reads submissions year round
- Open Spaces by invitation only
- The Other Journal lists themes but not deadlines for upcoming issues; accepts writer queries on posted themes on the role of faith and spirituality
- Pacifica Literary Review submissions open through May 15
- PageBoy Magazine reads submissions throughout the year
- Poetry Northwest welcomes unsolicited submissions of poetry, original or in translation through March 15
- PRISM international accepts submissions year round
- The Raven Chronicles guidelines for Volume 24 will be posted at the end of January
- Ricepaper accepts submissions from Asian-Canadian writers year round
- Room Magazine call for issue 40.3 on the theme Migration closes January 31
- The Seattle Review accepts long-form submissions year round
- Shark Reef deadline March 31 for summer edition
- Silk Road Review reads submissions year round
- StringTown reads submissions year round
- subTerrain has upcoming deadlines on February 1, May 1 and September 1 for themed issues
- Sweet Tree Review submissions open through March 19
- Switched-on Gutenberg issue 24 submissions open through April 30
- Tin House accepts submissions in March and September only
- Willow Springs poetry submissions open through May 31
- Windfall has two deadlines: February 1 for the spring issue and August 1 for the fall issue
. . . . .
August 30, 2016
Here are a number of conferences and retreats happening in the Cascadia region over the coming months. Follow the links for more information. If we’ve missed your event, please leave a Comment.
September 30 — Bellingham, WA — Bellingham SeaFeast presents the 1st Annual FisherPoets-on-Bellingham Bay
September 30 – October 2 — Edmonds, WA — Write on the Sound Writers’ Conference
September 30 – October 2 — Eugene, OR — The Oregon Poetry Association Annual Conference 2016
October 1 — Bellingham, WA — PoetryChAT poetry camp
October 1-2 — Kalispell, MT — Flathead River Writers’ Conference
October 7-8 — Richland, WA — Rivers of Ink Writers’ Conference
October 13-16 — Sublimity, OR — Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Annual Fall Retreat
October 14-16 — Bellevue, WA — Emerald City Writers’ Conference
October 20-23 — Surrey, BC — 24th annual Surrey International Writers’ Conference
October 27-30 — Seabeck, WA — Haiku Northwest’s Seabeck Haiku Getaway
November 2-6 — Seattle, WA — Cascadia Poetry Festival
November 4-6 — Port Orchard, WA — Northwest Writers’ Weekend
November 5 — Portland, OR — Wordstock: Portland’s Book Festival
January 13-16 — Orcas Island, WA — Artsmith Poetry Manuscript Intensive
January 20-23 — Newport, OR — Tin House Winter Workshop: Session 1 (Fiction)
January 27-30 — Newport, OR — Tin House Winter Workshop: Session 2 (Creative Nonfiction)
February 4 — Portland, OR — Write to Publish 2017
February 9-11 — Portland, OR — PubWest Conference
February 17-19 — Galiano Island, BC — Galiano Literary Festival
February 24-26 — Astoria, OR — FisherPoets Gathering
March 3-5 — Newport, OR — Tin House Winter Workshop: Session 3 (Poetry)
April 24, 2016
If you haven’t made your summer plans yet, this might be a good time to start thinking about the writing months ahead. When it comes to writing festivals and retreats, summer begins in May. Below is a selection of 2016 goings-on in the wider Cascadia region. Some of these events have fees and require applications. Follow the links for more information.
- May 13-14 – Convergence 2016: The Spirit in the Landscape, Silverton, BC, Canada
- May 19-22 – Skagit River Poetry Festival, La Conner, Washington
- May 20-22 – Word on the Lake Writers’ Festival, Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
- May 27-June 2 – Twin Creeks Writing workshop with Barbara Turner-Vesselago, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
- June 3-5 – Poetry Retreat with Ellen Bass, Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
- June 12-19 – Quest Writer’s Conference, Squamish, BC, Canada
- June 24-25 – Chuckanut Writers Conference, Bellingham, Washington
- June 25 – Poets in the Park, Redmond, Washington
- July 10-16 – Summer Fishtrap, Wallowa Lake, Oregon
- July 10-17 – Tin House Summer Workshop, Portland, Oregon
- July 12-15 – Sun Valley Writers’ Conference, Sun Valley, Idaho
- July 17-24 – 2016 Port Townsend Writers’ Conference, Centrum, Port Townsend, Washington
- July 24-29 – Napa Valley Writers’ Conference, St. Helena, California
- July 28-31 – Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association (PNWA) Conference, Seattle, Washington
- August 1-31 – August Poetry Postcard Fest, everywhere
- August 4-6 – Mendocino Coast Writers Conference, Ft. Bragg, California
- August 4-7 – North Cascades Institute: Beats on the Peak: Lookout Poets and Backcountry Tales on Ross Lake, Diablo, Washington
- August 5-7 – The Hidden Architecture of the Poem, a workshop in poetry with Dorianne Laux and Joseph Millar, Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
- August 8-11 – Elk River Writer’s Workshop, Paradise Valley, Montana
- August 11-14 – Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts, Sechelt, BC, Canada
- August 12-14 – Haiku Society of America Meeting, Portland, Oregon
- August 27-30 – Beargrass, Greenough, Montana
- September 9-11 – Poets on the Coast, La Conner, Washington
- September 11-17 – The 2016 Kona Writers’ Retreat, Kona, Hawaii
- September 22-25 – Environmental Writing Institute, Missoula, Montana
- September 23-24 – North Coast Redwoods Writers’ Conference, Crescent City, California
- September 23-25 – LiTFUSE, Tieton, Washington
. . . . .
photo by Emma Larkins
April 2, 2016
…and you really oughta take a look at the CALENDAR page. Cascadia events are updated almost daily throughout the year, but April is looking pretty impressive — and it doesn’t even include all the scores of appearances on the agenda for our Poets Laureate, Tod Marshall (Washington) and Peter Sears (Oregon).
If your Cascadia poetry event is open to the public and you’d like to have it included, leave a Comment on any page with the following information: Date, City, BRIEF description, Time, Location, Link where someone can get more information.
March 7, 2016
Now and then, we encourage poets to submit their work to Cascadia-based print and online literary journals by posting a list of those that are currently accepting work for publication. This is one of those updates.
It is not a comprehensive list of publications that originate in Cascadia; it is only those that have pending deadlines. Also, it does not include contests, which typically have separate deadlines (i.e., Crab Creek Review, Pacifica Literary Review).
Read the publications before submitting and, of course, follow the guidelines to the letter. All dates are 2016.
- Burnside Review reads submissions year round.
- Cascadia Review reads submissions year round.
- The Cascadia Subduction Zone reads submissions year round.
- Cirque Journal deadline for Cirque 7.2 is March 21.
- Clover, A Literary Rag is accepting submissions for issue 11 until April 30.
- EVENT accepts submissions year round.
- Geist accepts work (by postal mail only) with a Canadian connection year round.
- High Desert Journal reviews submissions year round.
- Image Journal and the Good Letters blog accept submissions year round.
- Isthmus reads submissions year round.
- Jeopardy Magazine accepts submissions from those with a connection to WWU through March 20.
- The Monarch Review reads submissions year round.
- The Other Journal does not list deadlines, but accepts writer queries on posted themes on the role of faith and spirituality.
- Pacifica Literary Review submissions are open through May 15.
- PageBoy Magazine reads submissions throughout the year.
- Poetry Northwest welcomes unsolicited submissions of poetry, original or in translation through March 15.
- PRISM international accepts submissions year round.
- The Raven Chronicles submissions for Volume 22 are open through April 15.
- Ricepaper accepts submissions from Asian-Canadian writers year round.
- Room Magazine submissions are open through April 30.
- The Seattle Review accepts long-form submissions year round.
- Shark Reef deadline is March 31 for the summer edition.
- Silk Road Review reads submissions year round.
- subTerrain has upcoming deadlines on May 1 and September 1 by postal mail only.
- Sweet Tree Review submissions are open through April 5.
- Switched-on Gutenberg issue 23 submissions are open through March 31.
- Whatcom Writes! has not yet listed the theme or deadlines for 2017, but they should be posted soon.
- Willow Springs poetry submissions are open through May 31.
- Windfall will accept work through August 1 for the fall issue.
. . . . .
January 3, 2016
Writing may be a solitary business, but there is no shortage of opportunities to mix with other writers. Here, for your 2016 calendar, are a number of word-worthy festivals and conferences coming up in the Cascadia region (and, a couple, elsewhere).
January 30 — Write to Publish, Portland, OR
February 19-21 — Galiano Literary Festival, Galiano Island, BC, Canada
February 19-21 — 16th Silverton Poetry Festival, Silverton, OR
February 26-28 — FisherPoets Gathering, Astoria, OR
March 11-12 — Words on the Water, Campbell River, BC, Canada
March 30 – April 2 — AWP Conference & Bookfair, Los Angeles
April 2-26 — Get Lit! Festival, Spokane, WA
April 21 – May 1 — 6th Annual Verses Festival of Words, Vancouver, BC
May 9-22 — 9th Biennial Skagit River Poetry Festival, La Conner, WA
June 24-25 — Chuckanut Writers Conference, Bellingham, WA
July 10-16 — Summer Fishtrap, Wallowa Lake, OR
July 10-17 — The Tin House Summer Writers’ Workshop, Reed College, Portland, OR
July 12-15 — Sun Valley Writers’ Conference, Sun Valley, ID
July 17-24 — The Port Townsend Writers’ Conference, Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA
July 28–31 — Pacific Northwest Writers Association Conference, Seattle, WA
August 1-31 — August Poetry Postcard Fest, everywhere
August 5-7 — The Willamette Writers Conference, Portland, OR
September 23-25 — LiTFUSE Poets’ Workshop, Tieton, WA
September 30 – October 2 — Write on the Sound, Edmonds, WA
October 18–23 — The Vancouver Writers Fest, Vancouver, BC
October 20-23 — 30th Anniversary Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival, Newark, NJ
October 21-22 — The Tacoma Poetry Festival, Tacoma, WA
November 3-6 — Cascadia Poetry Festival, Seattle, WA