April 17, 2017
Here are a number of conferences, retreats and other events in the greater Cascadia area (and beyond) that merit some planning for the coming months (all 2017).
- May 17-21 – Writing by Writers Methow Valley Workshop – Winthrop, WA
- May 19-21 – Word on the Lake Writers’ Festival – Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
- May 31 – June 3 – North Words Writers Symposium – Skagway, AK
- June 3 – Haiku Northwest Annual Meeting – Seattle, WA
- June 9-12 – Colrain Poetry Manuscript Conference – Truchas, NM
- June 16 – Convergence 2017: We Will Not Be Separated – New Denver, BC, Canada
- June 23-24 – Chuckanut Writers Conference – Bellingham, WA
- June 30 – July 3 – Sun Valley Writers’ Conference – Sun Valley, ID
- July 9-16 – Tin House Summer Workshop – Portland, OR
- July 10-16 – Summer Fishtrap – Wallowa Lake, OR
- July 15 – Poets in the Park 2017 – Redmond, WA
- July 16-23 – Port Townsend Writers’ Conference – Centrum, Port Townsend, WA
- July 20-23 – Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association (PNWA) Conference – Seattle, WA
- July 23-28 – Napa Valley Writers’ Conference – St. Helena, CA
- August 1-31 – August Poetry Postcard Fest
- August 3-5 – Mendocino Coast Writers Conference – Ft. Bragg, CA
- August 5 – 2017 Poetry Marathon
- August 17-20 – Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts – Sechelt, BC, Canada
- Sept 8-10 – Cumberland Poetry Festival – Cumberland, BC, Canada
- September 8-10 – Poets on the Coast – La Conner, WA
- September 22-23 – The 2nd Annual FisherPoets on Bellingham Bay – Bellingham, WA
- September 22-23 – North Coast Redwoods Writers’ Conference – Crescent City, CA
- September 22-24 – LiTFUSE – Tieton, WA
For readings and other events, see the Calendar page.
. . . . .
March 11, 2017
If you’re thinking about attending this year’s Chuckanut Writers Conference, Friday and Saturday June 23 and 24, 2017, registration is now open and early bird rates are in effect (you save $40). Visit the Chuckanut Writers Conference site for details, master class descriptions and a registration link.
February 17, 2017
Looking for something to do this weekend? The 8th annual Galiano Literary Festival starts today, Friday, February 17, 2017, and continues through Sunday the 19th on Galiano Island, BC, Canada. There will be workshops, readings and plenty of relaxation. All events are held at the Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa, a 5-minute walk from the ferry or 15 minutes by float plane from Vancouver or Victoria. Download the complete schedule on the Galiano Literary Festival website.
January 15, 2017
Today, Sunday, January 15, 2017, writers of every stripe, from communities around the world, are coming together to commit to the fundamental principles of democracy. Events are planned for many cities, including
- Bainbridge Island, Washington
- Bellingham, Washington
- Ellensburg, Washington
- Olympia, Washington
- Port Townsend, Washington
- Portland, Oregon
- Seattle, Washington
- Spokane, Washington
Visit the Writers Resist website for more information.
September 5, 2016
There’s still time to be a LiTFUSIAN.* Discover Mighty Tieton, Washington. Discover some new voices and some new poetry within yourself. (Tieton is in eastern Washington, about 3 hours from Seattle, about 3.5 from Portland or Spokane, about 5 from Vancouver, BC, and about 20 minutes from Yakima.)
LiTFUSE takes over the town of Tieton Friday, September 23, through Sunday, September 25, 2016. This year’s featured poet is Ilya Kaminsky, who joins many other fine poets on the schedule.
See the complete schedule and register on the LiTFUSE website.
*LiTFUSIAN – n., lĭt-fūz’-ē-ĕn: (1) Any sentient being who has participated in, or supported, LiTFUSE Poets’ Workshop. (2) A being of pure energy from the planet LiTFUSE.
June 18, 2016
People ages 13-18 are invited to participate in the Write On! Teen Writers Conference on Sunday, June 26, 2016. The event, at Village Books in Bellingham (WA), “offers a variety of writing-related hands-on experiences, as well as keynote addresses, book signings, and individual writing feedback.” Visit the Write On website for details and see the latest conference updates on Facebook.
April 24, 2016
If you haven’t made your summer plans yet, this might be a good time to start thinking about the writing months ahead. When it comes to writing festivals and retreats, summer begins in May. Below is a selection of 2016 goings-on in the wider Cascadia region. Some of these events have fees and require applications. Follow the links for more information.
- May 13-14 – Convergence 2016: The Spirit in the Landscape, Silverton, BC, Canada
- May 19-22 – Skagit River Poetry Festival, La Conner, Washington
- May 20-22 – Word on the Lake Writers’ Festival, Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
- May 27-June 2 – Twin Creeks Writing workshop with Barbara Turner-Vesselago, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
- June 3-5 – Poetry Retreat with Ellen Bass, Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
- June 12-19 – Quest Writer’s Conference, Squamish, BC, Canada
- June 24-25 – Chuckanut Writers Conference, Bellingham, Washington
- June 25 – Poets in the Park, Redmond, Washington
- July 10-16 – Summer Fishtrap, Wallowa Lake, Oregon
- July 10-17 – Tin House Summer Workshop, Portland, Oregon
- July 12-15 – Sun Valley Writers’ Conference, Sun Valley, Idaho
- July 17-24 – 2016 Port Townsend Writers’ Conference, Centrum, Port Townsend, Washington
- July 24-29 – Napa Valley Writers’ Conference, St. Helena, California
- July 28-31 – Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association (PNWA) Conference, Seattle, Washington
- August 1-31 – August Poetry Postcard Fest, everywhere
- August 4-6 – Mendocino Coast Writers Conference, Ft. Bragg, California
- August 4-7 – North Cascades Institute: Beats on the Peak: Lookout Poets and Backcountry Tales on Ross Lake, Diablo, Washington
- August 5-7 – The Hidden Architecture of the Poem, a workshop in poetry with Dorianne Laux and Joseph Millar, Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
- August 8-11 – Elk River Writer’s Workshop, Paradise Valley, Montana
- August 11-14 – Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts, Sechelt, BC, Canada
- August 12-14 – Haiku Society of America Meeting, Portland, Oregon
- August 27-30 – Beargrass, Greenough, Montana
- September 9-11 – Poets on the Coast, La Conner, Washington
- September 11-17 – The 2016 Kona Writers’ Retreat, Kona, Hawaii
- September 22-25 – Environmental Writing Institute, Missoula, Montana
- September 23-24 – North Coast Redwoods Writers’ Conference, Crescent City, California
- September 23-25 – LiTFUSE, Tieton, Washington
. . . . .
photo by Emma Larkins