April 17, 2017
Here are a number of conferences, retreats and other events in the greater Cascadia area (and beyond) that merit some planning for the coming months (all 2017).
- May 17-21 – Writing by Writers Methow Valley Workshop – Winthrop, WA
- May 19-21 – Word on the Lake Writers’ Festival – Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
- May 31 – June 3 – North Words Writers Symposium – Skagway, AK
- June 3 – Haiku Northwest Annual Meeting – Seattle, WA
- June 9-12 – Colrain Poetry Manuscript Conference – Truchas, NM
- June 16 – Convergence 2017: We Will Not Be Separated – New Denver, BC, Canada
- June 23-24 – Chuckanut Writers Conference – Bellingham, WA
- June 30 – July 3 – Sun Valley Writers’ Conference – Sun Valley, ID
- July 9-16 – Tin House Summer Workshop – Portland, OR
- July 10-16 – Summer Fishtrap – Wallowa Lake, OR
- July 15 – Poets in the Park 2017 – Redmond, WA
- July 16-23 – Port Townsend Writers’ Conference – Centrum, Port Townsend, WA
- July 20-23 – Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association (PNWA) Conference – Seattle, WA
- July 23-28 – Napa Valley Writers’ Conference – St. Helena, CA
- August 1-31 – August Poetry Postcard Fest
- August 3-5 – Mendocino Coast Writers Conference – Ft. Bragg, CA
- August 5 – 2017 Poetry Marathon
- August 17-20 – Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts – Sechelt, BC, Canada
- Sept 8-10 – Cumberland Poetry Festival – Cumberland, BC, Canada
- September 8-10 – Poets on the Coast – La Conner, WA
- September 22-23 – The 2nd Annual FisherPoets on Bellingham Bay – Bellingham, WA
- September 22-23 – North Coast Redwoods Writers’ Conference – Crescent City, CA
- September 22-24 – LiTFUSE – Tieton, WA
For readings and other events, see the Calendar page.
. . . . .
February 20, 2017
If winter (present or future) has you yearning for light, consider the delicious options on offer from Kahini.
There are still spaces available for The 2017 Hawai’i Writers’ Retreat, December 10-16, 2017, at the Aston Waikoloa Colony villas on the Big Island, with instructors Sheila Bender and Brenda Miller. The focus is the short-short, whether memoir, fiction or poem. Participants can also bring along non-participating spouses/partners for a very low additional fee.
If December doesn’t work for you, consider January 28-February 3, 2018, when Jordan Hartt will offer a week of writing at at the Villas at Po’ipu Kai for The 2018 Kaua’i Writers’ Retreat. Open to memoir writers, fiction writers and poets, the retreat again focuses on the short-short form.
The Kahini Café offers you a chance to write and workshop nine new short stories from the comfort of your home. There will be daily prompts, weekly readings and corresponding craft lectures, with MFA-level feedback. The Café meets monthly, April through December 2017.
For more, visit Kahini.org and browse the online contents of Kahini Magazine.
October 27, 2016
Looking for a last-minute getaway? There is still room available for the Northwest Writers’ Weekend, which is held Friday-Sunday, November 4-6, 2016, at Pilgrim Firs in Port Orchard.
The weekend is: four two-hour class sessions (three class choices each session), free time for writing, meals together, teacher readings/concert, all-camp reading/concert, cozy cabins, beautiful wooded surroundings.
Classes include…Songwriting: Song Seeds; What Your Characters Whisper; Finding New Voice in Persona Poetry; Songwriting: Poem to Lyric and Back; Write With Your Mouth, Edit With Your Ears: How to Make Your Writing Whisper, Growl and Sing; Using Lyrics in Stories; The Devil You Know: Keeping Your Inner Critic At Bay; “Poem in a Box”: The Prose Poem; Getting To The Point: The Essay and The Kinship of Ideas; Songwriting: Woodshedding.
Visit the Northwest Writers’ Weekend website for details.
August 30, 2016
Here are a number of conferences and retreats happening in the Cascadia region over the coming months. Follow the links for more information. If we’ve missed your event, please leave a Comment.
September 30 — Bellingham, WA — Bellingham SeaFeast presents the 1st Annual FisherPoets-on-Bellingham Bay
September 30 – October 2 — Edmonds, WA — Write on the Sound Writers’ Conference
September 30 – October 2 — Eugene, OR — The Oregon Poetry Association Annual Conference 2016
October 1 — Bellingham, WA — PoetryChAT poetry camp
October 1-2 — Kalispell, MT — Flathead River Writers’ Conference
October 7-8 — Richland, WA — Rivers of Ink Writers’ Conference
October 13-16 — Sublimity, OR — Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Annual Fall Retreat
October 14-16 — Bellevue, WA — Emerald City Writers’ Conference
October 20-23 — Surrey, BC — 24th annual Surrey International Writers’ Conference
October 27-30 — Seabeck, WA — Haiku Northwest’s Seabeck Haiku Getaway
November 2-6 — Seattle, WA — Cascadia Poetry Festival
November 4-6 — Port Orchard, WA — Northwest Writers’ Weekend
November 5 — Portland, OR — Wordstock: Portland’s Book Festival
January 13-16 — Orcas Island, WA — Artsmith Poetry Manuscript Intensive
January 20-23 — Newport, OR — Tin House Winter Workshop: Session 1 (Fiction)
January 27-30 — Newport, OR — Tin House Winter Workshop: Session 2 (Creative Nonfiction)
February 4 — Portland, OR — Write to Publish 2017
February 9-11 — Portland, OR — PubWest Conference
February 17-19 — Galiano Island, BC — Galiano Literary Festival
February 24-26 — Astoria, OR — FisherPoets Gathering
March 3-5 — Newport, OR — Tin House Winter Workshop: Session 3 (Poetry)
July 30, 2016
Kahini has announced that registration is now open for “Writing The Body,” a one-day workshop happening on September 24, 2016, at the Monkeypod House in Olympia, Washington.
“Spend a full Saturday in September getting in touch with the sensory details and stories of our own bodies — and finding the inspiration and craft elements to turn these stories into a short-short story, poem, or short essay of 500 words or fewer.”
P.S. Kahini’s 2017 Kaua’i Writers’ Retreat is sold out, but registration is ongoing for the 2016 Kampala Writers’ Conference, October 9-15, 2016, in Kampala, Uganda, and is now open for the 2017 Desert Writers’ Retreat, May 21-27, 2017, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
April 24, 2016
If you haven’t made your summer plans yet, this might be a good time to start thinking about the writing months ahead. When it comes to writing festivals and retreats, summer begins in May. Below is a selection of 2016 goings-on in the wider Cascadia region. Some of these events have fees and require applications. Follow the links for more information.
- May 13-14 – Convergence 2016: The Spirit in the Landscape, Silverton, BC, Canada
- May 19-22 – Skagit River Poetry Festival, La Conner, Washington
- May 20-22 – Word on the Lake Writers’ Festival, Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
- May 27-June 2 – Twin Creeks Writing workshop with Barbara Turner-Vesselago, Abbotsford, BC, Canada
- June 3-5 – Poetry Retreat with Ellen Bass, Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
- June 12-19 – Quest Writer’s Conference, Squamish, BC, Canada
- June 24-25 – Chuckanut Writers Conference, Bellingham, Washington
- June 25 – Poets in the Park, Redmond, Washington
- July 10-16 – Summer Fishtrap, Wallowa Lake, Oregon
- July 10-17 – Tin House Summer Workshop, Portland, Oregon
- July 12-15 – Sun Valley Writers’ Conference, Sun Valley, Idaho
- July 17-24 – 2016 Port Townsend Writers’ Conference, Centrum, Port Townsend, Washington
- July 24-29 – Napa Valley Writers’ Conference, St. Helena, California
- July 28-31 – Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association (PNWA) Conference, Seattle, Washington
- August 1-31 – August Poetry Postcard Fest, everywhere
- August 4-6 – Mendocino Coast Writers Conference, Ft. Bragg, California
- August 4-7 – North Cascades Institute: Beats on the Peak: Lookout Poets and Backcountry Tales on Ross Lake, Diablo, Washington
- August 5-7 – The Hidden Architecture of the Poem, a workshop in poetry with Dorianne Laux and Joseph Millar, Nanoose Bay, BC, Canada
- August 8-11 – Elk River Writer’s Workshop, Paradise Valley, Montana
- August 11-14 – Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts, Sechelt, BC, Canada
- August 12-14 – Haiku Society of America Meeting, Portland, Oregon
- August 27-30 – Beargrass, Greenough, Montana
- September 9-11 – Poets on the Coast, La Conner, Washington
- September 11-17 – The 2016 Kona Writers’ Retreat, Kona, Hawaii
- September 22-25 – Environmental Writing Institute, Missoula, Montana
- September 23-24 – North Coast Redwoods Writers’ Conference, Crescent City, California
- September 23-25 – LiTFUSE, Tieton, Washington
. . . . .
photo by Emma Larkins
December 12, 2015
Kelli Russell Agodon and Susan Rich have just announced not one, but two upcoming writing retreats.
The first will be a Seattle Winter Retreat on Saturday, February 6, 2016, from 10am to 4pm. There will be two workshops: Generating New Poems (10am – 1pm) and From The Art of Revision (1:30pm – 4:00pm). Take one or both, or save on registration by bringing a friend.
The second will be Kelli and Susan’s annual writing retreat for women, Poets on the Coast, which will again be in La Conner, September 9-11, 2016.
Enrollment, which is now open, is limited for both retreats, so if you’re intrigued, don’t delay.